29.2.04

LINK: Sara Butler has some well-put considerations on the undergrad hook-up culture, including a critique of me, though I think we're in agreement about the issues involved (though, quite probably, I dropped about seven hidden premises and assumed them to be in there).

"And this is why I'm not a huge fan of the Wendy Shalit types who argue that it's women's responsibility to keep men virtuous, sexually and otherwise, 'cause men are just pleasure-seeking predators, but women are different, women feel stuff beyond sexual pleasure. Rather than depressing young women like myself with this impossible task, wouldn't it make more sense to encourage everyone, men and women, to think about sex a little differently. I think men might be more receptive to this message than we seem to assume."

No comments: