29.2.04

LINK: evangelical outpost makes an interesting point on same-sex marriage. While prefacing what follows with the statement that I think I agree with Joe on this one, I do find the following bit of argumentation a little confusing:

"But civil marriage is more of a political issue than a moral one. While my moral beliefs inform my position, ultimately the decision is a political one and subject to political compromise."

The reason this seems odd to me is that it doesn't seem clear to me how this argument works for same-sex marriage and not, for example, for abortion, where the moral argument seems to be the genesis for the political one. As a matter of fact, I was arguing with a friend last week that I might be inclined to take entirely the opposite position: I can separate my moral view on abortion from my political view on it, because the two don't seem to encroach on each other overmuch, but it seems that I can't really do that with same-sex marriage, because while churches do not perform abortions, they certainly do perform marriages, and it'd be foolish to believe what happens out in the wider culture won't eventually work its way back into the church.

It may well be the case that the two aren't the same for a reason I'm not seeing right now, or that there's some sort of intervening argument I'm missing--in either event, I'm more than open to changing my mind on this one.

No comments: