30.1.04

HELL FREEZES OVER: or, Will Baude posts something I almost entirely agree with. Especially:

"This is especially the case given that much of the official curriculum taught in high school classes will either be re-learned in college (and it will often turn out to have been wrong the first time around) or else never used again."

I've occasionally advocated the theory recently that pre-college education serves absolutely no purpose other than a placeholder of time before students get to college and study things that actually interest them. To some extent high school might help you find what you want to study more of (not me--I had to read philosophy and Greek classics on my own time, and I hadn't even thought of political science at that time (consider this a warning, Kevin, that you might make it to Chicago only to major in biochemisty and interpretive dance)), as well as some valuable experiences which may or may not be class-related (mine included toilet coffee (I didn't drink it), shed-jumping, and a trip through Indiana, about which the less said, the better).

Other than explanations of the structure and function of juxtamedullary and cortical nephrons, I never use anything I learned in high school. But maybe that's just me.

No comments: