26.1.15

Lindi Ortega, "I'm No Elvis Presley"



The Dolly Parton voice, the assertiveness that belies the voice, the facility with a wide variety of country and early rock-n-roll song styles. I'm not sure which I like best. Moving farther into her recordings, there's also a favor shown to unusual chord progressions. Country music's a bit funny: a musician can get by with quite pedestrian music if the lyrics are sufficiently interesting, and can similarly pass with pedestrian lyrics if the music is unusual enough.* I'm not quite sold on the depth of songwriting, or the depth of metaphors, in Ortega's music, but her songs are all enjoyable to listen to, and sometimes that's enough.


*Alejandro Escovedo is my go-to example of someone who is not quite interesting enough with lyrics or music to warrant greater attention.

No comments: