19.8.13

I agree with Kevin Shields on this:
Well, the Beatles and the Ramones are my two favorite bands of all-time, and when I was a teenager, I learned that in order to play guitar like Johnny Ramone, it takes a huge amount of physical effort. A lot of people at my school could play the “Stairway to Heaven” guitar solo, but they couldn’t play three chords of a Ramones song if their life depended on it because they didn't have the strength or ability to do it. But all I did was practice that, and the style that I eventually fell into is more focused than people would actually imagine. There’s physicality and also nearly a meditative stillness to it. You have to be right there in the moment to do it, otherwise it’s just gratuitous chord-bending that sounds like nothing. And that’s why people who copy it don’t connect with anything. You have to be there to do it, you can’t be somewhere else.
There's nothing more difficult than locking into a groove and staying in it, when doing so requires playing exactly the same thing over and over again. Any guitarist can play a terrible guitar solo. Most can play a passingly decent one. But to sit and be quietly unobtrusive but always on time--most guitarists can't do that.

No comments: