9.10.12

Norm's story here is, I think, a modest argument in favor of the fourth year of college instruction and/or the presence of some required distribution of courses prior to the requirement to choose a major: both provide more time to 'try on' different options with lower stakes. I am certain I will have more definite opinions on this once I have taught in the Core here at Chicago for longer. (I do, however, think the average undergraduate curriculum could probably use more, not less, classroom time to major in a subject, especially where the general education requirements are lower. Philosophy at Michigan had a very structured curriculum for majors and possibly even a higher overall hour-requirement, and was accordingly more systematic and useful than even political science. For me, its use was convincing me that I didn't want to be a philosopher, but that's still a use.)

No comments: