20.9.11

Though the best response to the Netflix/Quikster debacle was undoubtedly that of The Oatmeal, my own final reaction was much closer to Alyssa Rosenberg's:

But one thing that strikes me as potentially good for Netflix, if insanely frustrating for customers, is the possibility that folks won’t cancel because even if it means managing two accounts, it’ll still be easier than trying to figure out what combination of services best covers your entertainment consumption needs.

...and this ultimately seems to be where I'll end up. There are a lot of movies I would like to see. Of those movies, I'd be willing to pay to own a very small number of them. For example, I'm interested in venturing further in the works of Jean-Pierre Melville, though I'm not certain I'll like them all; the same goes for many of the Criterion Collection movies.

In happier news, though, the Amazon Instant Video experiment seems to be working well thusfar, and I do not mind no longer paying for cable.

No comments: