20.1.11

A first, tentative sign that my attempt to learn Dutch may be working: managed to understand parts of a German-language movie that was on in the background as I was writing the other day. Some basic dialogue I understood entire; some where I could unwind longish sentences syntactically, but with holes for words I didn't know. All of this is encouraging, since I know or can fake my way through most Romance languages but Germanic languages have always been gibberish to me.

I did realize that even for me, who studies the Dutch 17th century rather extensively, Dutch will be a skill of limited usefulness. Only one of Grotius' major works--The Jurisprudence of Holland--was written in Dutch, and perhaps a quarter of his letters. Nevertheless, it will be a welcome skill to have.

No comments: