5.5.10

ERNIE HARWELL: Of all the things I've ever done that have disappointed my brother (not a long list, I hope), number one has to be that I'm a Yankees fan. For our entire childhoods and most of the way through college, I was indifferent to baseball, the sport he loves, and dismissive of the Detroit Tigers in particular (in fairness to me, it was a good time to be dismissive of them). When I finally came around to baseball in 2001/2002, it was for the Yankees, which is a little like growing up in a left-liberal family and telling them you've become a fascist.

But whatever your feelings about the Tigers were, you loved Ernie Harwell, because everyone loved Ernie Harwell. A brief sample:



Strange, but right and fitting--listening to old clips of him calling games on youtube, it just sounds like baseball. He will be missed.

No comments: