26.2.09

THE NORMBLOG POSTERITY COLLECTION POLL: Norm is back at it here. My list, where the first is "probably most representative of humanity" and the second is my personal choice (Norm's not entirely clear on which he's asking for):

1. Poet--Probably Shakespeare, hopfully Keats; T.S. Eliot
2. Playwright--Shakespeare; Moliere (though I might pass here, as well)
3. Novelist--Jane Austen; Fyodor Dostoevsky
4. Composer--Beethoven; J.S. Bach
5. Jazz musician--Miles Davis
6. Rock or pop star/group--The Rolling Stones
7. Country music ditto--Hank Williams Sr.
8. Movie director--Spielberg; Fellini
9. Painter--Monet; Rembrandt
10. Photographer--Pass
11. Sculptor--Michelangelo; Bernini
12. Architect--also pass. Everyone knows the best architecture was done before anyone knew who the architects were (though I suppose I could say Abbot Suger and be done)

And will use my two passes to add Chuck Berry to Rock or pop star/group and Balzac to novelist.

Suggestions?

(I also note that the poll theme, while intriguing, is a little limiting: personal lists are nice because they reflect idiosyncratic things about that person. When I contemplate humanity, I have to recognize that people taken as a whole are probably not very much like me. I like Rembrandt, I think he sees more about what it means to be human than virtually any other painter. But I've been to enough art museums to know that people really, really like Monet, I am not quite so egocentric as to think there's nothing to learn from that, however much I might want to explain the popular taste away.)

No comments: