2.10.08

LINK: I substantively agree with Alex Massie, especially on this:

With any luck, between them, Baden-Powell Palin-Biden will do enough to discredit the office of the Vice-Presidency itself, returning it to the obscurity for which it was once justly famous.


I made an argument along these lines to my advisor, and was told it was 'too clever by half.' Either of them would do fine as a Vice President (well, the role is less likely to become unimportant if Biden is elected, but I don't think the country will be run into the ground--or, rather, I don't think it'd be primarily his fault). The vituperation directed at Palin seems out of proportion to her flaws, such as they are; some of it is justified (Ross Douthat handles this ably, though he sounds unconvinced by his own argument), and some of it is not wanting this woman to succeed right now.

No comments: