31.8.08

UTAH GAME WRAP-UP:

I like to riff on chosen-versus-unchosen identities, with the idea that one's attachment to things one has chosen can be just as intense, just as formative, as those one is born into. If I had any doubt about that, yesterday's game cleared it up: despite having two other things that needed to be done in the early evening, despite vowing to turn the game off at halftime, then after the third quarter, I stuck around to the bitter end. And will watch again next week.

My general perspective on this matter is summarized (in a slightly more profane form) at Wolverine Liberation Army (here and here; I wasn't joking about the profanity, was I?), whom I love for this T.S. Eliot adaptation.

And, hey, good news: the visiting all-awesome quarterback from next year took a look and said, "shoot, if I make this work, they will treat me like some kind of lower deity," which is only a slight exaggeration away from true.

No comments: