30.4.08

A SHORT POST ON THE MERITS OF BUREAUCRACY:

My car will finally be liberated either late today (God willing) or tomorrow. Odd though it may be, I can't get very worked up over the break-in; I don't feel like my privacy has been forever violated, or that my guitar equipment is unique and irreplaceable (had a very cathartic evening playing my bass (all that's left) to Portishead).

In part, this is because the initial moment of shock gave way to a list of things I had to do--call the police, cancel my plans for the day, find a place to put my car for the night, call my car insurance company--and that gave way to another list: fill out paperwork, deal with insurance adjusters, wait for my car to get fixed. Some of these things are small hassles (I was on hold with Geico for about 15 minutes, but I do believe the woman I spoke with was trying to get me some coverage for the items stolen from my trunk), some of them substantial (how exactly do you document owning things you bought ten years ago, in high school?), but all of them are quotidian and difficult to take as anything more than hassles. Focusing on them is more pleasant than the alternative.

No comments: