22.12.07

QUOTES: The past few days have been spent, happily enough, reading (This Side of Paradise and The Sea, The Sea, along with a crack at Ezra Pound), and I anticipate more of the same (The Brothers Karamazov again, and the Charterhouse of Parma), as I begin my annual preparations to write extensively in the forthcoming semester. Blogging will be accordingly light. Two thoughts, though, from Paris Review interviews, first with William Faulkner:

Interviewer: And Freud?

Faulkner: Everybody talked about Freud when I lived in New Orleans, but I have never read him. Neither did Shakespeare. I doubt if Melville did either, and I'm sure Moby Dick didn't.


Dorothy Parker:

Interviewer: That's not showing much respect for your fellow women, at least not the writers.

Parker: As artists they're rot, but as providers they're oil wells; they gush. Norris said she never wrote a story unless it was fun to do. I understand Ferber whistles at her typewriter. And there was that poor sucker Flaubert rolling around on his floor for three days looking for the right word.

No comments: