8.10.04

THE REST IS SILENCE: I was going to use some space here to continue the rather vicious textualist-contextualist debate from earlier this afternoon, but, to be honest, it pretty much killed my interest in ever discussing that set of issues again. I'll afford myself one last exception: it seems pretty clear to me that you're either a textualist or a historian, and if political theory's about the latter, it probably has no place in political science.

UPDATE: In the spirit of conciliation and moderation toward my fellow political theorists, it's probably a good idea to clarify what I mean when I say "textualism," which I discuss in the comments here, and, I think, includes a heavy and significant place for context when it's appropriate for the theoretical issue you want to discuss.

No comments: