3.4.04

LINK: Jollyblogger has some interesting commentary on the discussion of marriage bouncing around between evangelical outpost and Diotima:

"As a pastor I often find myself dealing with people who have "existing values and ethical frameworks" who are often seeking to "change the location in which they act out those values." Francis Schaeffer was right when he said that the highest values of our time are personal peace and affluence. Husbands and wives become means to attaining personal peace and affluence. When a spouse (subjectively) begins to believe that their spouse is disturbing the peace, they construct all kinds of arguments as to why they must flee the current situation.

This is why I often get the feeling when I am counseling someone that we are ships passing in the night. I am trying to change the way they look at marriage, but they are filtering my counsel through their "existing values and ethical frameworks.""

The rest of the blog is pretty good too, so definitely worth checking out.

No comments: