2.3.04

WELL: Joe Carter drops some thoughts on this post, and it took me a bit of time to figure out what I found objectionable. Here goes:

"In my opinion, God has not given any institution (nor individual) the authority to end a human life without just cause."

The state doesn't actually perform abortions, though (or you could design a scheme where that's the case, and they merely furnish the legal right). You could then suggest that the state does in fact have rather wide right to make decisions regarding people's lives--capital punishment, the draft, ordering soldiers to go fight--and 'just cause' is really a sort of arbitrary standard used to say why some cases of the state deciding it's okay if people die are acceptable and some are unacceptable. I'm not sure, I should say, that I entirely buy into this argument, but it seems to me a plausible view you could hold.

No comments: