5.3.04

ON KERRY: I don't perceive him as actually being any different on this one, for reasons something like the ones I mentioned on my post below on national sovereignty: Kerry's rhetoric would expect me to believe that there's no situation in which he wouldn't bring (or try to bring) allies (read: France and Germany) on board.

But let's suppose the following hypothetical: people are being mercilessly slaughtered in some nation somewhere, in appallingly high numbers, and with full state sanction--let's say millions of people. Now, for their own particular reasons, let's say France and Germany express disapproval of international involvement (let's say that the nation won a bloody war of independence from France, so they're inclined to let them go to hell, and there's a really contentious German election that prevents either side from taking a dramatic stand). Am I to believe Kerry would not attempt to intervene in that situation, even if he had to do it unilaterally?

this raises two possibilities:

1. He would intervene, which makes his current anti-unilateralism only so much cant (and I'm not going to vote for someone who chucks his moral intuitions for electoral advantage)
2. He wouldn't intervene, which would make me wonder about his humanity.

No comments: