17.3.04

LINK: Jared Bridges has an interesting post on the watering-down of Sunday School classes. We were issued our Bibles (at the Reformed Church of America church I was at back then) at the end of first grade, expected to know the books of the Bible in order by the end of second grade, and the system of education was so complete and comprehensive that I made a name for myself in my Medieval Art History class mostly because I knew all of the Biblical iconography.

Which reminds me of my favorite moment from that class. I'd developed a sort of a reputation on these things. We were looking at the first slide of a set of Apocalyse tapestries. It was a picture of an angel with seven buildings around it.

Prof Sears (facetiously): Does anyone know what this is?
Me (raises hand)
Prof. Sears: Yes Nick?
Me: Those are the seven churches of Asia Minor, right?
Prof. Sears (incredulously): How in the world do you know that?
Me: twelve years of Sunday School?

No comments: