10.3.04

LINK: Bill Wallo suggests he may have more libertarian leanings than the aforementioned quiz supposed he did.

For my part, I was shocked there was only one question on free trade, because that's my big libertarian thing (I'd even take free trade without environmental or worker regulations).

He discusses libertarianism more here. I've always been inherently suspicious of it myself because I don't really buy into the two main assumptions you need to be a libertarian: that people are rational, basically well-meaning individuals* (so there's no reason to worry about what they do on their own), and that we don't really need to be concerned about how other people are doing**.

*this rational, well-meaningness naturally drops off once they assume the role of a government official, though, which seems like an odd loophole to me.

**a gross oversimplification, it will be objected, but my rough approximation of the upshot of believing in decreased regulation and the unimportance of legislation as a tool to collectively alter behavior.

No comments: