12.2.04

TODAY'S RANDOM MUSIC THOUGHTS:

1. I've been listening heavily to Lodger and Low (crazy Berlin-era, Eno-influenced insanity from David Bowie, but it's post Young Americans, so it's all ridiculously catchy. ridiculously catchy), and it occurs to me that he's one of those people whose reputation for being, you know David Bowie overshadows the really consistently good work he did for quite awhile (Bruce Springsteen strikes me as another one of these).

2. A Small Victory discusses what it's like to be an R.E.M. fan these days, especially when you go back to the old albums and you realize that they used to be so, so good, and just aren't anymore. Sigh...

3. I was speculating a few days ago that there are really two things that make a difference what kind of music you end up liking (if you're one of those people who go crazy over music): what you listened to first, and whether or not you play an instrument/were in a band. I think my musical taste is probably entailed by the following facts: I listened to R.E.M. almost exclusively for about three years (6th grade through 8th, when I discovered Patti Smith, etc), and I played in several bands of marginal quality in high school, and continue to play guitar today. Just a thought.

No comments: