19.2.04

QUOTE FOR THE DAY: Nick Hornby:

"All these years later and Suicide still feels like a shot in the head," an enthusiastic reviewer remarked when their first album was re-released; a couple of decades ago, that would've been enough to make me want to buy it. ("A shot in the head! Wow! Even The Clash only felt like a kick!") Now, however, I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be shot in the head, and so I will avoid any work of art that sets to recreate that particular experience for me. It's a particularly modern phenomenon, this obsession with danger. And, in the end, it's impossible not to conclude that it has been borne out of peacetime and prosperity and over-education. Would the same critic have told someone coming back from the Somme that a piece of music "feels like a shot in the head," one wonders? And if he did, would he really expect the chap to go charging off to his local music emporium?

No comments: