19.1.04

LINK: Le Sabot Post-Moderne questions what we're doing in South Korea if South Koreans don't especially like us being there. Makes me think:

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child!"
-King Lear, Act I, scene iv

Which actually strikes me as a rather good analogy. We do have something like a responsibility for the protection of the South Koreans (so long as the threat is as proximate as it is with the crazies in North Korea), and their not liking us doesn't vacate that responsibility any more than, say, having your teenager be mad that you are 'invading their privacy' means you should cease to care about what they're doing.

Maybe this is why my political philosophy professor said I considered paternalism a legitimate basis for governmental action.

No comments: